Thursday, August 25, 2011

Christ in Window


I started on a Masonite Board that I bought at Home Depot and sawed up.
I took all the smaller boards and coated them with Gesso mixed with black acrylic paint. It makes a nice smooth surface that I usually use to paint portraits.
I drew this painting on with a brush and burnt umber oil paint mixed with paint thinner. The background is Cerulean blue.

This time I thinned the paint with a just bit of medium to make it flow. Still working on the underpainting...
I glazed burnt sienna over the figure to warm it up, then added a touch of dark blue to the deep shadows.

Added some shocking highlights and then toned them down by adding some of the medium tones on the skin. Looking at this picture, I think I need to go back and blend it all a bit before it dries!

I worked on this when it was dark outside, under my natural light flourescent light, which is way too bright. So, I painted over the face and made it too dark in regular light. Sigh....
Then, in the morning I dreamed up this brainstorm that I should change the picture from the one I am copying, so I added more sky to make it an outdoor setting. Now the figure is definitely too dark!!!!
This may be a struggle to make this painting work!

No comments:

Post a Comment