Friday, November 25, 2011

Christ, Mary and Martha






I scratched on some color, more detail in highlights and just a few shadows on the figures. Then I blurred it all with a big clean brush.

Today I added a bit of detail to Mary and some darker darks around her and Martha. It doesn't take much!
Worked on Christ's robe and a bit of the 2 women. As I look at this, I see a small fire burniing on the floor behind Christ.
Disaster: So, I wanted to use this painting, so I finished it. Some parts were shiny and some dull (from using medium with my paint sometimes), so I sprayed it, while wet, with re-touch varnish. So that dust would not accumulate as much, I sat the painting on it's side. (Yes, that was dumb!)
All the new paint ran down in rivulets!!!!!!!!!!
Luckily, I saw it and wiped it off. But now, there are very shiny and very dull spots and the painting is not done. Obviously, I did not get to display this painting in public! Still working on it...

I had to photograph this sidways in a shadowy place, so you can see the painting without glare. Sorry.
I worked and re-worked the faces of the women and NOW, they look like sisters. I stopped looking at the photo, and painted what I wanted. I'm really starting to like them more. It was probably a good thing that the paint ran and I had to wipe them off - right?
The women had to come out more in the dark. But this photo has more contrast than the actual painting. Still working on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment